Knowing God and Making Him Known

It is my chief desire to know God. When I read the first line in Philippians 3:10, I felt that this should be one of the verses from the Bible that defines my life.  It says, "that I may know Him".  What a powerful statement!
The apostle Paul must have such a heart cry after God, that his desire to know God became expressed in the epistle he was writing to the Philippians...
But to understand this cry to know God even better, we must consider that he wrote this epistle while he was imprisoned for the Cause of Christ. You know, we only live when we have a cause worthy to die for. Paul's cause was Christ. It was to know Him.
And how he understood knowing God is even more powerful. The broader context of the verse says, "But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead" (Philippians 3:7-11). 
  • Paul considered his greatest accomplishments as loss
  • Knowing Christ was his greatest desire
  • We can "be found in Him"
  • This is a result, not of our own supposed righteousness
  • It's a result of our faith in God
  • Knowing God is totally tied in with the very crux of Christianity, namely His death and resurrection
  • By His death, we die to our sinful flesh
  • By His death, we are atoned for
  • By His resurrection, our bodies will be resurrected on that great day
  • By His resurrection, we have been made spiritually alive
Let us all strive to know Him in the power of His death and resurrection!
And as we know Him, may we make Him known. May we proclaim Him in with our words and our actions. May we proclaim Him from the rooftops, and may His imputed righteousness within us be the proclamation that He is Lord!