Live for God - the Conclusion of Ecclesiastes

In November last year (2018) I wrote this ministry letter, when I was going through a very tough time. I pray that it encourages you:


There is purpose to life! There is joy in this journey. 

This is the conclusion that King Solomon arrived at after twelve chapters of Holy Ghost inspired, philosophic musings. 

Now almost 3,000 years later, God's Word still comes to us to give us hope.

I have never really had trouble sleeping. I mean I could drink coffee before bed, then drop like a rock and only come by the next morning. But these last few months I would find myself awake at the weirdest hours of the night. 

I like to get up at around 5:30 or 6am. But when my clock says it's still 3:29am, or 2, I'm like, "Oh no, it's gonna be a lo-o-ong night..." And I have had several ones like this recently. 

In the summer I had chiggers on my ankles, and oh boy, 3am was hard. 

And then I begin to worry. That's another thing I have never really done - worry. But I worry about money and bills. Worry about the kids. Worry about the church. 

But I have learnt a long time ago there is no use rolling around worrying at night. Rolling 1 1/2 turns to the right, then a half a turn to the left few times does not work. After a half hour I decide - I'm getting up, I'm going to pray, I'm going to read the Word, and hopefully hear God. 

So last week I'm outside at 2:30-something a.m. I'm praying under the beautiful, starry sky. I walk up and down, praying in the spirit and the understanding. I finally go inside and pray there, on my knees at the coach. 

And finally, I read the Bible. And of all books, I read the entire Book of Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes! This book has never really spoken to me, but it is also God's Word. 

And this time it spoke to me. Don't get me wrong, I am not totally in Solomon's sorry frame of mind, but I did see verse after verse that made a good points that spoke to me. 

Now, I'm not going to go through the entire Book of Ecclesiastes on this little paper - I'll let you do that sometime in the middle of your night, lol.

But what I want to do is highlight the God-inspired conclusion of Solomon's, when he wrote, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil" (Eccl. 12:13-14, NKJV.)

Enjoy your lifeEccl. 8:7-9, especially with the helpmeet God has given you.

Be diligent and industrious: Eccl. 9:10, even if you feel your enterprises fail, if you did it for God, you've succeeded in his eyes. 

Let your life be worship: Eccl 12:13 - "Fear" God means honor, praise, worship and glorify him! 
Let your daily activities be a song to God. "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10:31, NKJV.) 
"Let my lifesong sing to YOU!"

Live by the Bible: Eccl 12:13 - God's Commands. 
Live with the Day of Judgment in mind: Eccl. 12:14. Paul wrote, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad" (2 Cor. 5:10, NKJV.) 

So be encouraged in Jesus today. He is watching over you, and he will reward you - in this life and in the life to come! 


To order Joel Hitchcock's book:


"Son of God and Man - the Deity and Humanity of Jesus Christ"





You will be blessed!